Having trouble getting pregnant?
Infertility testing helps to eliminate potential causes one by one, beginning with basic biology. You may not know the optimal time to conceive a baby, or whether you regularly menstruate and/or ovulate.
If you have tried for one year (6 months if you are over 35) and are still not pregnant, Health Central physicians will likely discuss infertility testing, such as:
- A simple ‘ovarian reserve’ blood test shows us how your ovaries have aged, and the quantity of remaining eggs. Your age can predict egg quality.
- Hormonal testing to determine whether you are ovulating or may have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
- We’ll recommend ovulation tests you can use at home.
- A semen analysis will uncover issues with sperm quality, motility and quantity.
- A hysterosalpingogram (HSG) identifies tubal blockages or uterine cavity abnormalities.
Research attributes causes of infertility equally to men and women, so we’ll work with you to assess your partner’s sperm health and diagnose male and female anatomical barriers to pregnancy. The tests above will help your physician discover the specific causes of infertility and determine the proper treatment plan.
We’ll generally begin with the least invasive course of infertility treatment. That may include intrauterine insemination (IUI) in which semen is collected, “washed” and inserted via catheter into the uterus. Clomiphene (Clomid, Serophene) can help regulate ovulation and may be the only infertility treatment you need.
If Clomid and IUIs don’t result in a pregnancy, we’ll discuss further options.
When the journey to parenthood takes a detour, Health Central Ob/Gyn physicians can help get you back on track, with infertility testing and treatments that produce results. Schedule your appointment now and take control of your fertility.
Your healthy pregnancy begins now when you schedule an appointment to discuss optimizing your fertility, tips on achieving a healthy pregnancy, prenatal care and childbirth and delivery.